Monday, December 29, 2014

Monday, June 23, 2014

Remodel update

We've just about got the front room all done, here is where we are to date.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

House remodel

We are destroying our house, here is a photo from a few days ago.

Friday, April 18, 2014

Laundry room Cabinets finished

They are finally finished and in.

Monday, February 10, 2014

Laundry Cabinets

I'm now starting a cabinet project that has been in a holding pattern for way to long.  My wife has wanted real cabinets over our washer and dryer since we moved into this home, and I'm finally getting around to making them.
This has been one of those things in the house that for some insane reason I've just put off doing.
She has been extremely patient with me and just let me doodle around the real needs of the house. But now its time to get them done.

She is going to kill me, but here is a photo of what it looks like now.

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Hall Entry Table Complete

Here it is, finally.
I now have an order from the little lady, to do another for the kitchen. This time with an enclosed bottom with doors and shelves.

For the most part this turned out good, I keep learning that I need to be more patient and take the time that is required to get a better result.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014


I'm working on the finish today, I hope to have it done by tomorrow.  That's if I don't foul it up again!

Let me explain, I did what I told myself not to do and it bit me in the rear. I used a Transtint dye mixture and General Finishes Brown Mahogany water base stain. Well I told myself that I should spray on the top coat of General Finishes High Performance, but I got dumb and started wiping it on.
Well you might know what started to happen, the water based stain began to come up and the lighter wood underneath started to show through.
The thing is, if the little lady inside the house didn't want it to be dark I might have just gone on ahead with the entire piece because I kinda liked the look I was getting, but I am under orders to have it be dark.
So I let it dry and sanded it back down and re-applied the stain and went back to work, this time spraying on the top coat and boy does it look good.
I can't for the life of me figure out why I'd try wiping on the finish, when you can get that kind of look and feel by spraying.
I'll have a few photos in the morning of the finished project.

And then onto the next one.

Cabinets for the top of the stairs computer area.

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Hall table update

I'd hoped to be further along than I am before going back to work this next week, so now this is going to take a bit more time.
I hope to have the drawer slides hung and the drawer fronts stained this week and then final sand the entire project and get it all stained, we'll see.

This is the dovetail design I decided on for the drawer fronts.

The drawers in the case.

The drawer details.

I decided to add some molding to the drawer fronts, they were just kinda boring without it.

Two sections of the top glueing.

The test pieces of molding with the original drawers.

Both top sections glued and clamped.

My WoodRiver #3 plane after going to town on the back of the top after the glue-up.

All three drawers with the new molding in place.

And as the table sits today. Like I said, it will probably be like this for a few days now.

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Hall table getting closer

Here is the latest photo of the project.